Saturday 3 July 2010

Eclipse Review

Hey, I’m Scarrlet, but all of you will mostly know me as Telrracs, or Tel. I’m honored to have been allowed to do the blog review for Eclipse! Now let’s crack open this nutshell.

To start, I would like to say that I’m sure we’ve all had our fangirl moments. Whether it was from getting to meet the stars themselves or from just seeing a new smoking-hot picture of our favorite actors. Even though you may not want to admit it or believe, there is a reason you’re staying up until two-thirty in the morning to see a movie. There’s a reason why you may continuously read about the same characters over and over again. It’s a little thing called an Obsession (or incredibly strong feelings for one thing). Now, I didn’t drive three days to LA, camp out on the streets for another five days and sleep in a tent to go to the Eclipse premier, but I do read fan fiction more than I read regular books, I write fan fiction about the same characters, and I nearly killed myself trying to find midnight tickets to the Eclipse release. I call that a little obsessed (hey, at least I know I am).

***Spoiler Alert: Do not continue if you do not want information from the movie***


Now, let’s start from the very beginning of my journey. A group of my friends and I all went to the midnight show of Eclipse together. I told them we should have left earlier, but no, no one every listens to me, so when we get there at 11:30 the line to get into the movie theater was out the door. I verbally cursed all my friends off. But it was then that one of my friends, who has a problem walking and has to use crutches all the time, went up to one of the managers and explained that she wouldn’t be able to stand in this long line. The man made a few calls, and Bam! they are allowing my friend to get an early seat inside the theater! What luck, right? Well not so much, they would only allow her and one of my other friends to go in early, so even though the rest of us had to stand in the terribly long line, we had the best seats saved for us by my friend, right in the middle. Score!

So we all settle down, I’ve got my giant soda, bag of popcorn, and twizzlers at my side and I’m ready to enjoy. The movie is just about to start when I hear this woman talking to her “baby daddy” about how useless he is. In any other situation I might have found this amusing, but I’m about to watch Eclipse and I don’t want to be interrupted. So I turn around to ask her to be quiet, until I see her. And she was pretty freaking scary, so she quickly glares me down I stay shrunk in my seat until the movie starts.

And, so it begins! Now, not to drag this out and make it incredibly boring, I’ll point out the things that I hope will make you want to see this movie, if not even more, and also the things that I did not like or felt were done wrong.


1. The Acting: I know that in the first two movies you would cringe into your seats or look away from the scene when Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson were touching/kissing/and/or interacting in any intimate way. But throughout the entire movie of Eclipse I felt like they had a much better connection with each other. They looked like a real couple (as real as a couple in their situation could look) and I felt no need to look away from moments when they kissed.

2. That Damn Fucking Smile: We know it, we love it, and it’s become one of Edward’s signature actions throughout the fan fiction world, the damn crooked smile. Now throughout Twilight and New Moon, we had to sit through two hours of an expression that looked like he was being tortured, not very appealing. BUT throughout this movie we get to see that wonderful smile. I have to say Rob pulled it off wonderfully. It was pretty damn sexy at times.


3. The Action: I’m the kind of person who could always enjoy some good action scenes. Eclipse did a pretty good job at it. The CGI was done way better and the wolves looked more realistic. I really loved seeing all the training the actors went through come out good. Also, one of my favorite parts was right after Jacob kissed Bella the first time and she punches him. In the book Edward acts all calm when he gets to the two but in the movie he was angry and looked pissed off like I wanted him to be in the book. And it was hot.

4. Jasper and other Characters: Haha. I just HAD to give the guy his own little section, because I LOVED Jasper in this movie! Jackson did an awesome job! Jasper’s back story was done great and I’m not much of a war person but if I had General Whitlock at my side, sign me up! Also, when he was training everyone, it was done flawlessly. The little fight between him and Alice was so freaking adorable. Let’s see… Rosalie’s back story was done well too, I thought. It was one the time I actually liked her in the movies. I seriously loved the person they picked to play Leah Clearwater. She did an amazing job. I didn’t, however, really like the person they picked to play Victoria. I really did love the other person that played her, but there is only so much Summit could do about that. The wigs that the actors wore had definitely improved from the last two movies. I didn’t want to vomit when I saw Jasper’s wig, though Bella’s looked kind of awkward at moments. Then, there was the fact that Jasper wore a sexy smirk throughout most of the movie, and I just wanted to stare at him with his wickedly gleaming eye and pounce his ass. Hmmm… where was I?



5. Hilarious: This movie as pretty fucking funny. I found myself laughing all though it. My favorite was when Bella and Charlie had “The talk”. It was so funny. I love Billy Burke. Also, in the tent scene when Jacob said “I’m hotter than you”. The whole theater went into a riot. And, speaking of the tent scene. It was probably my favorite scene or scene they got most dead-on from the books. The whole freaking time Kristen didn’t say a word and it was perfect, haha. I’m not her biggest fan, but Rob and Taylor are fantastic here and all I wanted was to be able to snuggle in between the two of them, hmmm.

6. Finally, The Proposal: And other favorite of mine. Though this part felt kind of rushed through, I thought it was very good. And Rob looks like quite the kisser *melts*. The whole scene was hot and I did my best to blank out Kristen’s face while watching it, hehe. And I will admit that I clapped and squee-ed when she said yes. XD




Now the things that annoyed me:

1. The Ending: I was so looking forward to two things at the end of this movie. One was Edward trying to seduce Bella in the meadow and second was Jacob receiving the wedding invitation and running off. What did I get? A boring speech and no Jacob. WTF? I have no idea why they made Bella have this little speech at the end, but it was pointless. We already know that she’s chosen Edward, get on to the seducing! I guess we’ll get that in Breaking Dawn. Then, there was no wedding invitation. I wasn’t as mad about this point but what are they going to do that the beginning of Breaking Dawn? Have it start with him getting the invitation? I guess that would work, but it would have the same impact it would have if they would have left it off as him leaving, but, hey, that’s just my opinion.

2. Glass skin: During the action scene there were a lot of vampires being ripped to pieces but one thing that annoyed me was how their skin looked like. Whenever an arm or leg or head was ripped off it looked and kind of sounded like glass breaking, not stone. I was kind of weird, not a big problem, just something I noticed.

3. The Ring: The ring that Edward gave Bella. WTF is up with it? I really, really didn’t like it. I’m not saying that it ruined it for me but that’s nothing like I pictured it. It looked like a shiny, circle disc instead of a ring. (Would you want to where that on your finger for eternity?----->

4. Making Edward look Bad (Grrrr): In the parking lot of the school Jacob comes with his motorcycle and Bella just leaves Edward there while driving away with Jacob. No. Wrong. This made Edward look bad, but the Edward from the book would have NEVER let Bella just ride away like that. In the book, it was Bella who went behind Edward’s back to go with Jacob. And I kind of wanted the scene where she tricked Alice and rode away with Jacob. This, in the book, would have led us to the leg hick scene. They took that away! Though they did do a leg hick in the proposal scene, there were three bed scenes in the book and only one in the movie. All I can say is they better not cut out any scene like that in Breaking Dawn. I want feathers AND a broken headboard!

5. No Wolf Cry (I would like to thank ILWA for making this point): I have not read the Twilight books in quite a while and when I was watching the tent scene I had totally forgotten that when Edward and Bella where talking the next morning and Edward just so happen to slip that they were getting married Jacob had been in his wolf form and heard the whole thing and quote on quote “the silence outside the tent was ripped apart by an earsplitting howl of pain.” Now, I’m no Jacob supporter but I can say that he did love Bella (god knows why) and that howl told us how heartbroken he was hear that. It may not have been a big thing or something you noticed immediately (unless you’re a Team Jacob fan), but after it was pointed out to me I continued to feel like it should have been in there. Also, (I know these just keep on coming) in the book Edward went after Jacob. In the movie, Bella did and it kind of make Edward look like a jerk for saying what he did knowing Jacob was out there. Another way you’re making Edward look bad!

6. Finally, Victoria: Well, what’s there to say really? I didn’t really like her. And her hair and the way it was styled just didn’t go together at all! Kind of like Kristen Stewart and smiling.




And so there you have it; the Pros and Cons that I saw in Eclipse. I honestly thought this was the best of the three movies and the third book being my favorite, I was happy with the way it turned out. So, what did you think of Eclipse? Loved it? Hated it? Going to your third time? Let me know!

I’d like to thank AT for allowing me to do this post and hopefully I’ll see you guys soon!

~Tel

4 comments:

  1. Tel! I miss you!!
    Your review rocks :D I watched it online yesterday so I'm glad I watched it before I read this :D

    I totally agree with you on this, 100%, it was great though, so much better than New Moon, I hated it and was really not sure about Eclipse, I didn't even wanna see it because of New Moon and I decided I should give it a chance, and I'm so glad I did!

    Anyway, awesome review of it, *thumbs up*

    LYL

    MBL

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Thanks for that. I was joking walking into the cinema last night about how I didn't want to read this until today. lol.

    Going into the screen, post starbucks pre-movie and book discussion we moved into the 'q' only to have two obnoxious twenty somethings walk straight in front of us. I can only presume that they thought it was a free for all for seats. Which brings me to seats. They took our seat!!!! Well only a calming Jasper like hand on my arm from my friend and the reminder of how much I really wanted to see a 50 foot Rob was enough to prevent me from hauling said ladies asses off the seats. We eventually ended up being seated behind them with me 'accidently' kicking their seats a couple of times during the movie.

    Yes... I am that mature.

    I agree that the ring is way to ugly and I can't imagine had bf presented it to me that he would have been able to stop me from running for the hills. But then bf doesn't look like Edward. :-(.

    I think Billy Burke stole the show and I totally said "Where was the howl?" out loud in the cinema. Jasper was amazing throughout the entire movie. Well done Jackson. Only once or twice did I have to avert my eyes from the wig so that's saying something about how well he carried the character off.

    A great, amusing and insightful post. Well done you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all!! :D MBL, I haven't heard from you in so long! I miss ya!

    And AT, yes you are very mature. I probably would have done the same XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job Tel!

    I'm going to put my own little review on my thread...at some point. :P

    ReplyDelete